Why in News?
In the coming week, India is expected to conduct a large scale joint exercise named as “Exercise Kavach” in Andaman and Nicobar.
- As “Exercise Kavach” is deliberate to be performed beneath the aegis of Andman and Nicobar, China’s apprehension is that main naval powers are controlling the Malacca Strait among Malaysia and Indonesia because of which essential deliver strains are interdicted.
- More than eighty in step with cent of China’s oil imports byskip through the 350 km strait that connects the Indian Ocean and South China Sea.
- In an article, the Berkeley Political Review stated that this dependance on overseas oil to run the country’s massive monetary system created what’s referred to as The Malacca Dilemma, coined in 2003 via way of means of then president, Hu Jintao.
- This exercise comes at a time while India is locked in a standoff with China in jap Ladakh.
- This exercise holds a variety of importance as China is attempting to open more than one routes to the Indian Ocean.
- In a statement, the Defence Ministry stated, “the exercise will contain synergized software of maritime surveillance assets, coordinated air and maritime strikes, air defence, submarine and touchdown operation.”
- India’s cognizance keeps to stay on China’s growing goals withinside the region. The message India desires to ship out that Beijing’s strength play can’t be replicated withinside the Indian Ocean.
Key Takeaways –
- The exercising would contain participation of Indian Army, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy. Notably, ANC is the most effective Joint Forces Command of the country.
- The joint navy exercising will decorate the fine-tune joint war-preventing competencies of the tri-offerings and SOPs closer to improving operational synergy.
- ‘Excercise Kavach’ will witness the deployment of Army’s Amphibious Brigade, Special Forces of Navy, Armour/Mechanised components, naval ships comprising destroyers, ASW Corvettes and Landing Ships with ship-borne helicopters.
- The IAF will show its firepower with Jaguar Maritime Strike and shipping aircraft. The Indian Coast Guard can also be covered withinside the huge scale Joint Military exercising.
- The exercising will contain the air force’s Jaguar maritime strike aircraft, shipping aircraft, factors of the Indian Army’s amphibious brigade, destroyers, anti submarine conflict corvettes and amphibious warships with ship-borne helicopters of the Vishakhapatnam-primarily based totally Eastern Naval Command.
- The joint forces might execute multi-area excessive depth offence and shielding manoeuvres withinside the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal and perform amphibious touchdown operations, air-landed operations and helicopters-borne insertion of Special Forces from sea, culminating in tactical follow-on operations on land.
- Along with Kavach Exercise, the Joint Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance (ISR) Exercise can also be held. The ISR will validate competencies of intelligence accumulating. Also, it’s going to validate competencies of facts sharing from space, land, air and sea.
- This might contain the navy’s technical, digital and human intelligence factors.
- The ISR exercising will validate the competencies of intelligence accumulating from space, air, land and sea-primarily based totally assets/sensors, its evaluation and sharing to acquire battlefield transparency for brief choice making at extraordinary tiers of operations.
About Indian Army –
- The Indian Army is the land-based branch and the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Army, and its professional head is the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), who is a four-star general. Two officers have been conferred with the rank of field marshal, a five-star rank, which is a ceremonial position of great honor.
- The Indian Army originated from the armies of the East India Company, which eventually became the British Indian Army, and the armies of the princely states, which were merged into the national army after independence.
- The units and regiments of the Indian Army have diverse histories and have participated in a number of battles and campaigns around the world, earning many battle and theatre honors before and after Independence.
About Indian Air force-
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is the air arm of the Indian Armed Forces. Its complement of personnel and aircraft assets ranks fourth amongst the air forces of the world.
- Its primary mission is to secure Indian airspace and to conduct aerial warfare during armed conflict.
- It was officially established on 8 October 1932 as an auxiliary air force of the British Empire which honored India’s aviation service during World War II with the prefix Royal.
- After India gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1947, the name Royal Indian Air Force was kept and served in the name of Dominion of India.
- With the government’s transition to a Republic in 1950, the prefix Royal was removed.