Why in News?
The Nations Security Council (UNSC) has rejected all Pakistan’s request to list four Indians as designated terrorists under its 1267 Committee for Counter terrorism Sanctions. Pakistan wanted to add the Indian nationalists under AL-Qaeda and ISIS operations.
- Pakistans appeal to list 4 Indian nationalists as terrorists have been put down by UNSC.
- The UNSC exercising its power under the 1267 committee for Counter terrorrsim Sanctions rejected the request.
- The USA, UK, France, Germany, and Belgium backed India and blocked Pakistan’s requests due to a lack of evidence.
- USA, UK, and France are permanent members of the UNSC, whereas Germany, and Belgium are non-permanent members.
- In September 2019, Pakistan alleged that 4 Indians working in Afghanistan, formed an Afghanistan-based Indian terror syndicate.
- In its allegation, Pakistan also stated that the group was organizing the banned terror groups viz Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and Jamaat-Ul-Ahrar to carry out attacks in Pakistan.
- Pakistan and China also moved a joint proposal to declare one of these four people as a sanctioned terrorist. The proposal received a veto from the USA in UNSC.
- Pakistan later claimed it had made a statement at an Open Debate of the Security Council on the Report of the Secretary-General on the Threats to International Peace and Security posed by Terrorism Actions, accusing India of terrorism.
- UNSC had refused to take cognizance statement, as Pakistan is not a member of the UNSC.
- India formally protested against this calling this a false claim.
- In July 2020, Pakistan moved the 1267 Resolution Sanctions Committee to designate the four Indians as global terrorists.
What is the reason behind Pakistans move-
- In August 2019, India abrogated the special status of Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 which was highly objected in Pakistan. In order to counter this, Pakistan released a new political map claiming Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh and Junagadh as their territory on 5th August 2020.
- India succeeded in getting Chief of Jaish-E-Mohammad listed as global terrorism in 2019 after several attempts in 2009, 2016, and 2017. This proved that Pakistan supports terrorism.
- Pakistan is trying to target India as it is going to join UNSC as a non-permanent member for two years in January 2021.
- India’s leadership in dealing with COVID 19 in the SAARC region was opposed by Pakistan. This step of Pakistan was criticized by India.
UNSC Resolution 1267 Sanctions Committee
- This committee supervises the implementation of sanctions according to UNSC resolutions 1267 (1999) 1989 (2011) and 2253 (2015).
- It was adopted without opposition on 15th October 1999.
- The Committee is one of the most important and active UN subsidiary bodies working on efforts to combat terrorism, particularly concerning Al Qaeda, Taliban, and the Islamic State group. It prepares a consolidated list of people associated with these organizations.
- It discusses UN efforts to limit the movement of terrorists, especially those related to travel bans, the freezing of assets, and arms embargoes for terrorism.
Rejection of Pak’s request will only put a negative impact on its image in the global community.
Consider the recent conflict between India and China and the closeness of China with Pakistan, India needs to be concerned about its security. International support is crucial for India amidst rising tension with its neighborhood.